Skip to main content

... And then you die.



It’s like one of my buddies from high school always said: “Life sucks, and then you die.” We all have at least one thing in common – we’re all going to die. Maybe we die heroes, maybe we die alone in a hospital bed, maybe we die fast or slow. Whatever way our bodies break down, there’s a definite ending for all of us when our bodies ultimately fail.

So, what kind of story are we in? We? This single word is throwing me off. I can tell you all about MY story, but I falter every time when it comes to OUR story. We’re born and we die. What happens in between is life, and that’s the story, at least on an individual level. But maybe it's true too on a mass scale, all of humanity. 

I can’t speak for anyone else, but I’m in all kinds of stories. My life, if it were in book form, would most likely be more of an anthology of short stories than a standard genre novel. Just in 27 years, I’ve got adoption, adventure, law-breaking, ghost-sightings (yes, really!), achievement, rape, abusive relationships, marriage, childbirth, divorce, rehab, the straight and narrow, Christianity, rebelling against Christianity, the list is endless, honestly.

But every single one of these stories is important to me. I like to think they make me a better mom. Unlike most moms, I’m annoyed to be here most of the time. I am just not motherly by nature so instead, I have to WORK at being a good mom. One of my favorite ways to do this is lie in the dark and tell my daughter stories before she sleeps. The stories I tell her help me relay behavior expectations, emotional intelligence, and encourage her to ask questions all the time. That’s why I really liked what I read in Walter Benjamin’s “The Storyteller.” He says, “In every case, the storyteller is a man who has counsel for his readers.” Because I live my life and gain these stories, I also gain wisdom in experience. That wisdom is helpful to have as I raise my daughter, and it has helped her through a few tough times already (tough times relative to a three-year-old, anyway).

I also think that categorizing a single life into recognizable themes is healing. I've looked into narrative therapy a little bit, and the more I read, the more I realize that it's what we do naturally when we have no other means to heal ourselves. The first time I tried to put order in my life via writing down stories, I was thirteen. Nobody instructed me. It just happened. I think, on some level, we have a need for order and writing stories (whether they're true or not) helps satisfy that need for order in a world full of chaos. 

I don’t know what kind of story we are in, but I like to think of our story, humanity’s story, as a whole. Imagine, I tell my daughter stories of my life, then she in turn tells her daughter. Pieces of us float down the generations, pieces of who we were, what we did, what we believed. Even if our name is lost, there are pieces that survive. All of our stories are like this, and, although we don’t have much evidence for what was the very FIRST story, we can know for sure that there will be a very last. One day, if we don’t destroy the planet and kill ourselves first, the sun will die and so will we.
We are all born individually, and we will all die individually, but as a species, the same thing will happen as well.

Life sucks and then you die, right? Might as well tell some stories and listen to others’ stories while we’re here. Maybe we'll even leave something worth remembering behind. 


Oh and P.S. if you're asking about OUR story, the story of this class? All I really hope for is a really great scene that includes breaking the 4th wall so we can see something about story more clearly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Melanie and Melanie: Growing up with Separated Lesbian Moms in the South

I came from a sperm bank, well I came from a vagina, but first I came from a sperm bank. That’s not generally my opener, but we need to make it clear. My moms discovered their sexuality long before I came along in 1992. When I was three, they separated. Gay marriage had not been legalized up to this point, so there was no divorce process involved. However, my mama, Sharon, she gave birth to me, and she wanted full custody of me. My other mom, Sylvia, worked tirelessly to pay for my existence and Sharon’s pregnancy care; she loved me, and I was her child no matter what. They went to court, and Sylvia became one of the first lesbian parents in the state of Texas to receive shared custody of a child that was not biologically hers. In some cases, this still doesn’t always happen, particularly in cases with gay and lesbian parents, regardless of how involved the parent is in their child’s life. “Who do you want to live with?” Flash forward seven years or so, and I’m being given more

Voices from Below

It is, to my mind, an undeniable fact that all areas of academic study benefit from the effective use of narrative. Literature, history, and the arts are natural candidates, yet even the maths and sciences can be enriched by including the human voices of those involved, telling us the story of what they discovered, how they did it, and what it means for humanity. What strikes me, though, is that the voices of those on the ground outside of the ivory tower of academe are still rarely heard, and even more rarely acknowledged and valued. In history, I want to hear more of the voices of those who did not "win," the so-called conquered peoples, the indigenous peoples, those crushed under the heel of imperialism. Some corrective measures have been taken to include these voices in the last few decades, but I know there is mountains more to be discovered. In the field of medical science, I want to hear the voices of those who unwillingly gave up their lives for our knowledge of

Needs more academic lingo

So I heard something funny on a podcast this weekend and it really struck a chord. The hosts, sweet souls that they are, were talking about people who become professors and how they must do it because they really care. After all, it’s not like they’re trying to get famous. I laughed, a lot, because seriously, what academic isn’t trying to make a name for themselves? Becoming faculty means writing and publishing, and getting your name out there while trying to break fresh ground on old material. That’s incredibly clear, given the amount of narrative theory ideas we read about this week.   And the more theories that are created, the more TERMS there are. They’re just everywhere… chrono-logic, fabula, sjuzet, catalyzers.   I mean, I get it, in the basics, but what kills me is how many  different ideas can be created to explain the how’s and why’s of story and narrative. I’ve tried to find a kind of unified theory of narrative theory, and so far, the names t