Skip to main content

Who Are We? Narratologists! What Do We Want? Uhhhh....A Nap? A Snack? Someone to Recognize How Special I Am?




Okay, but really though, why can't all the narratologists just get along? I mean, they seem civil enough, I suppose. We haven't read any attack threads yet (though, I'm sure there are some out there). But it seems like nobody can agree on what's what. As Hernstein Smith stated, narrative theory is "afflicted...with a number of dualistic concepts and models" (138). Everyone has a different opinion in this school of theory.

That said, what is a narrative?

Pink pixelated text on a black background that says "NOBODY KNOWS"

Honestly, I no longer have any idea. Why you ask? Because neither do any narratologists. They started out more or less referring to what we call a narrative today as a tragedy per Aristole. Nowadays, at least according to Abbott, it's "the representation of an event or series of events" (13) that consists of "story and narrative discourse" (19). McQuillian suggested it was a form of knowledge. Some theorists say narratives are only things written down. Some say that even if it's written down it has to be only text for it to count. (Sorry comic books, you're SOL in the eyes of old white theorists. Don't worry, though, I'll still take you seriously and call you a narrative, Wonder Woman). Some people like Barthes and Rimmon-Kenan require something to have more than two events to be a narrative and Bal, Bordwell, and Richardson all want these events to be "causally related" to be considered a narrative (Abbott 13).

Forster's example of asking three different men what does a novel do is a pretty good example of the narratology community. They all basically say the same thing in slightly different words, but we are supposed to see them as being radically different due to these changes in tone, inflection, and slightly different diction. So when you ask me what is wrong with narratologists, I'm inclined to suggest that's it's that they can't get along.

More specifically, however, it seems as if they all don't want to get along. They all have a different idea that they want to be the idea, and they all have a different analysis method that they want to be the method. Reading these articles reminds me somewhat of when I was a fifth-grade teaching intern. Every student wanted attention. They would do anything to get attention. When one did something and got attention, the rest of the students would notice. Then one of them would adapt that thing that got attention to their own needs and do it so they could get attention. And so on. Basically, narratologists are fifth graders looking for attention. They're all arguing in the sandbox over what a story is and setting such strict guidelines that they can't expand as the world changes. (See my comment about comic books above).
Woman leaning over arm of chair in front of a pink background with text off to the left saying "It's nap time. No one speak. Please. I NEED THIS."

In the simplest words, narratologists need a nap, snacktime, and to feel important. They're all a little tired, a little hangry, and feeling a little ignored.

Honestly, though, just about every theorist and academic feels this way. We all want our thing to be the thing. What makes narratologists special, however, is they're taking commonly used words and ideas, things that steeped in colloquial attachments, and trying to reframe them into something uniquely theirs. Aka, they're trying to create a whole new definition of the word "story," which already has hundreds of years of history and definitions. This is, as one would expect, very difficult. Add on top of that to the inflexibility of these theorists and inability to envision a future in which narratives don't just exist on the page and, well, we have a whole mess of a bunch of cranky old guys who are the definition of a special snowflake who just can't get along.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Melanie and Melanie: Growing up with Separated Lesbian Moms in the South

I came from a sperm bank, well I came from a vagina, but first I came from a sperm bank. That’s not generally my opener, but we need to make it clear. My moms discovered their sexuality long before I came along in 1992. When I was three, they separated. Gay marriage had not been legalized up to this point, so there was no divorce process involved. However, my mama, Sharon, she gave birth to me, and she wanted full custody of me. My other mom, Sylvia, worked tirelessly to pay for my existence and Sharon’s pregnancy care; she loved me, and I was her child no matter what. They went to court, and Sylvia became one of the first lesbian parents in the state of Texas to receive shared custody of a child that was not biologically hers. In some cases, this still doesn’t always happen, particularly in cases with gay and lesbian parents, regardless of how involved the parent is in their child’s life. “Who do you want to live with?” Flash forward seven years or so, and I’m being given more

Voices from Below

It is, to my mind, an undeniable fact that all areas of academic study benefit from the effective use of narrative. Literature, history, and the arts are natural candidates, yet even the maths and sciences can be enriched by including the human voices of those involved, telling us the story of what they discovered, how they did it, and what it means for humanity. What strikes me, though, is that the voices of those on the ground outside of the ivory tower of academe are still rarely heard, and even more rarely acknowledged and valued. In history, I want to hear more of the voices of those who did not "win," the so-called conquered peoples, the indigenous peoples, those crushed under the heel of imperialism. Some corrective measures have been taken to include these voices in the last few decades, but I know there is mountains more to be discovered. In the field of medical science, I want to hear the voices of those who unwillingly gave up their lives for our knowledge of

Needs more academic lingo

So I heard something funny on a podcast this weekend and it really struck a chord. The hosts, sweet souls that they are, were talking about people who become professors and how they must do it because they really care. After all, it’s not like they’re trying to get famous. I laughed, a lot, because seriously, what academic isn’t trying to make a name for themselves? Becoming faculty means writing and publishing, and getting your name out there while trying to break fresh ground on old material. That’s incredibly clear, given the amount of narrative theory ideas we read about this week.   And the more theories that are created, the more TERMS there are. They’re just everywhere… chrono-logic, fabula, sjuzet, catalyzers.   I mean, I get it, in the basics, but what kills me is how many  different ideas can be created to explain the how’s and why’s of story and narrative. I’ve tried to find a kind of unified theory of narrative theory, and so far, the names t