Skip to main content

Time Loop Narrative: The Trope, the Films, the Legend.

I am not a fan of scary movies. Murder documentaries? Yes. Horror films? Absolutely not, count me out. Unless it is Halloween and then my two best friends force me to see some kind of horror film in theaters with them. That being said, a few years ago, I was forced against my will to see Happy Death Day (Warning! This contains some spoilers), and was hit with the seemingly overplayed trope of the Time Loop, in which the protagonist is forced to relive her death over and over again, until she figures out who kills her. In this case, it was her sorority sister who poisoned her birthday cupcake. The film ends, and I left thinking, "wow! That wasn't too bad. It was cheesy, but kinda funny, and I only almost peed once during a jump scare." However, Hollywood does not seem to like having stand-alone films, and recently I saw previews for Happy Death Day II where it is now not only the protagonist who must relive her death day over again and escape multiple killings, but now her friends do too. It is the same concept: one of the never ending Time Loop. Many different kinds of narratives employ this trope, both in books, television, and in film as it feeds into our fascination of time. What is it and why the Time Loop? What is it about this trope that is equal parts frustrating and fascinating? W Magazine attempts to answer this question in their article "Russian Doll's Time Loop Narrative is Inspired By At Least 7 Other Movies and Shows" by Brooke Marine.

What became abundantly clear is that the Time Loop narrative is not restricted to one kind of "genre." The list includes the Netflix show Russian Dolls, Happy Death Day, 50 First Dates, The Good Place, Black Mirror, Before I fall, and others of the like. We know that Happy Death Day, as I mentioned above, is a horror-comedy, (Is that a real thing?), and 50 First Dates is more of a romantic comedy. Yet, these seemingly different narratives all include this Time Loop concept. Each protagonist, according to Marine, must relive the same day and fix what is broken, or rather, they are given infinite chances to "break the cycle... focus on linear and nonlinear conceptions of time, morality, and what it means to be a 'good' person" (Marine 2019). While some obviously fall into borderline cheesy cliche, they're all essentially trying to teach the audience concepts of morality with the help of the Time Loop.

Marine argues that all these Time Loop narratives are really just "do over" narratives, and I find that concept intriguing. Clearly others do too, or else we would stop creating the damn movies/shows/books. Perhaps the Time Loop narrative is there to function as a way to not only do the day over and learn or right a wrong, but to invite the audience in and exist within a narrative in different ways as the character/narrator does. Time obviously does not bend in real life as it does in the Time Loop narratives, but by consuming it, we can participate and root for the happy ending where the protagonist pushes her awful sorority sister out of a window for poisoning her on her birthday.
(I've linked the article below if anyone is interested in Time  Loop narrative).

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/russian-doll-netflix-groundhog-day-watch-list





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Melanie and Melanie: Growing up with Separated Lesbian Moms in the South

I came from a sperm bank, well I came from a vagina, but first I came from a sperm bank. That’s not generally my opener, but we need to make it clear. My moms discovered their sexuality long before I came along in 1992. When I was three, they separated. Gay marriage had not been legalized up to this point, so there was no divorce process involved. However, my mama, Sharon, she gave birth to me, and she wanted full custody of me. My other mom, Sylvia, worked tirelessly to pay for my existence and Sharon’s pregnancy care; she loved me, and I was her child no matter what. They went to court, and Sylvia became one of the first lesbian parents in the state of Texas to receive shared custody of a child that was not biologically hers. In some cases, this still doesn’t always happen, particularly in cases with gay and lesbian parents, regardless of how involved the parent is in their child’s life. “Who do you want to live with?” Flash forward seven years or so, and I’m being given more

Voices from Below

It is, to my mind, an undeniable fact that all areas of academic study benefit from the effective use of narrative. Literature, history, and the arts are natural candidates, yet even the maths and sciences can be enriched by including the human voices of those involved, telling us the story of what they discovered, how they did it, and what it means for humanity. What strikes me, though, is that the voices of those on the ground outside of the ivory tower of academe are still rarely heard, and even more rarely acknowledged and valued. In history, I want to hear more of the voices of those who did not "win," the so-called conquered peoples, the indigenous peoples, those crushed under the heel of imperialism. Some corrective measures have been taken to include these voices in the last few decades, but I know there is mountains more to be discovered. In the field of medical science, I want to hear the voices of those who unwillingly gave up their lives for our knowledge of

Needs more academic lingo

So I heard something funny on a podcast this weekend and it really struck a chord. The hosts, sweet souls that they are, were talking about people who become professors and how they must do it because they really care. After all, it’s not like they’re trying to get famous. I laughed, a lot, because seriously, what academic isn’t trying to make a name for themselves? Becoming faculty means writing and publishing, and getting your name out there while trying to break fresh ground on old material. That’s incredibly clear, given the amount of narrative theory ideas we read about this week.   And the more theories that are created, the more TERMS there are. They’re just everywhere… chrono-logic, fabula, sjuzet, catalyzers.   I mean, I get it, in the basics, but what kills me is how many  different ideas can be created to explain the how’s and why’s of story and narrative. I’ve tried to find a kind of unified theory of narrative theory, and so far, the names t