Skip to main content

Write Your Story, Heal Your Traumas


Ah yes, the dream of creating an intensive series of workshops with no bound to collaborative help and endless money. But what shall I focus on?

            Assuming I could rally all of my favorite therapists and psychology students into the same room as all of my favorite professors and English students, all I would need to create this scenario of a workshop series would be several undergraduate students who would be willing to participate.
            The first workshop, I would do my best to introduce students to the idea of narrative and how it affects how we view ourselves based on the stories we tell to ourselves and to others about ourselves. We would explore some of the basic ideas surrounding identity and narrative. They would then have some time to write a reflection (no word limit or requirement) on the simple prompt: Who was I? Who am I? Who will I be?
            The second workshop, I would first have the students write a short narrative about an important event in their life that they feel informed their current identity. Afterwards, I would give them several different definitions of types of narratives, positions of narratives, and the identities they inform so that I could ask them to identify what kind of narrative they wrote. If so inclined, they would have time to discuss the labels they chose for their narratives and why it’s helpful to know these definitions.
            The third workshop would be the most abstract. I would explain the uses of metaphors and other literary tools that people practicing narrative theory sometimes use in order to inform their identities. The students would then be asked to write a conceptual metaphorical narrative, i.e. a story about themselves using an extended metaphor.
            The fourth workshop would be the final go, I think. We would review previous work and previously discussed ideas. I would bring up the idea that writing narratives can often be healing, especially for people who have been through traumas or have unstable identities. I would then set them free to write a narrative about a particularly painful event in their life that ends with a solid conclusion, and send them on their way, probably cured or something.
            With their permission, I would collect all of the writing they had completed during the workshop series so that I could conduct a study because I’m scientific like that. Hopefully, the participants would gain a significant understanding of how they view themselves and how they’ll be able to deal with future trauma by writing. I also hope that they would be able to, if they wanted, submit some of the more metaphorical pieces to creative non-fiction contests seeing as how many journals are highly interested in how people can rewrite interesting stories of their lives using literary tools traditionally used in fiction.

            I’m really attached to the idea of narrative therapy because it has worked wonders for me so far. I think the simple idea of writing a scene that has a clear ending helps me rationalize that whatever happened in the narrative I’ve written is a past event, and it only informs my current self as much as I allow it. Having written it down, it is easier for me to move on and not let the negative emotions that stem from that particular scene affect me so directly. More to this end, being the narrator gives me a kind of power that my past self who was acting in the moment lacked. In this way, I gain the directive power over how I tell the story, how others will read the story, and how I feel about myself in terms of what meaningful conclusion the story eventually comes to.
The metaphors and conclusions are the two places I focus on the most. Depending on the particular event, I sometimes need to be directly in the action the way I remember it happened or I need to zoom out a little bit so that I don’t have to completely re-live the trauma. For me, at least, the especially traumatic “chapters” are highly metaphorical. And the conclusions are where I can find or insert a meaningful discovery that lends itself to healing or grappling with the fact that this “chapter” is in fact over with, and I’m a better person for it. For the way my brain works, writing these chapters helps me itemize the events in my life so that once they’re written, I can file them neatly away in my filing cabinets (in my mind skyscraper, y’all) to keep my working brain free of past debris.
            I believe that this method, especially with all the information from various articles I’ve read this semester, would help many people who might not have previously realized they had things to grapple with.
            

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Melanie and Melanie: Growing up with Separated Lesbian Moms in the South

I came from a sperm bank, well I came from a vagina, but first I came from a sperm bank. That’s not generally my opener, but we need to make it clear. My moms discovered their sexuality long before I came along in 1992. When I was three, they separated. Gay marriage had not been legalized up to this point, so there was no divorce process involved. However, my mama, Sharon, she gave birth to me, and she wanted full custody of me. My other mom, Sylvia, worked tirelessly to pay for my existence and Sharon’s pregnancy care; she loved me, and I was her child no matter what. They went to court, and Sylvia became one of the first lesbian parents in the state of Texas to receive shared custody of a child that was not biologically hers. In some cases, this still doesn’t always happen, particularly in cases with gay and lesbian parents, regardless of how involved the parent is in their child’s life. “Who do you want to live with?” Flash forward seven years or so, and I’m being given more

Voices from Below

It is, to my mind, an undeniable fact that all areas of academic study benefit from the effective use of narrative. Literature, history, and the arts are natural candidates, yet even the maths and sciences can be enriched by including the human voices of those involved, telling us the story of what they discovered, how they did it, and what it means for humanity. What strikes me, though, is that the voices of those on the ground outside of the ivory tower of academe are still rarely heard, and even more rarely acknowledged and valued. In history, I want to hear more of the voices of those who did not "win," the so-called conquered peoples, the indigenous peoples, those crushed under the heel of imperialism. Some corrective measures have been taken to include these voices in the last few decades, but I know there is mountains more to be discovered. In the field of medical science, I want to hear the voices of those who unwillingly gave up their lives for our knowledge of

Needs more academic lingo

So I heard something funny on a podcast this weekend and it really struck a chord. The hosts, sweet souls that they are, were talking about people who become professors and how they must do it because they really care. After all, it’s not like they’re trying to get famous. I laughed, a lot, because seriously, what academic isn’t trying to make a name for themselves? Becoming faculty means writing and publishing, and getting your name out there while trying to break fresh ground on old material. That’s incredibly clear, given the amount of narrative theory ideas we read about this week.   And the more theories that are created, the more TERMS there are. They’re just everywhere… chrono-logic, fabula, sjuzet, catalyzers.   I mean, I get it, in the basics, but what kills me is how many  different ideas can be created to explain the how’s and why’s of story and narrative. I’ve tried to find a kind of unified theory of narrative theory, and so far, the names t